(for second and third graders)
A field trip to The Scrap Box is a great way to introduce the concept of using resources wisely. Girls explore the 3Rs — reduce, reuse, and recycle — using our unique recycled materials.
The workshops are designed to fulfill part of a badge requirement. The activities are as open-ended as possible to allow all children the opportunity to express their own creativity.
Each workshop consists of 3 parts:
- First, the Scrap Box presenter talks about our scrap materials, showing examples of what the product was that produced the scrap.
- Second, the girls get some hands-on experience making their project, based on the project chosen for that day. Girls are fully engaged in discovery, problem solving, and creativity; each girl’s masterpiece will be unique.
- Third, the girls go shopping in the large bulk room, filling a bag to take home.
Each workshop lasts one and one-half hours. The cost is $6.00 per girl, with a minimum charge per workshop of $75.00. Small troops often invite siblings along. There is no charge for adults unless they want to participate in making the project and/or shopping.
Suggested Project Choices:
project from the topics below)
- ART TO WEAR:
- Create a mask on a stick with sticky-back foam and colorful scraps.
- FRIENDS ARE FUN:
- Friendship Bracelet: Make one bracelet to give and one to keep.
- Paper Design:Create a foam stamp and use it to make your own stationery.
- PUPPETS, DOLLS, AND PLAYS:
- Finger Puppets: Make a family of small puppets to fit on your fingers.
- Paper Bag Puppet: What kind of critter will emerge using our special scraps?
- BUILDING ART
- Create a Neighborhood that includes special features you want in your dream neighborhood.
- COLORS AND SHAPE
- Stencil stampers: Make foam stamps to create your own holiday wrapping paper.
- Colors and Shapes Mobile: Learn a simple method to make an attractive mobile.
- Yarn Painting: Use a sticky-back base to create a design with yarn.
- Make an animal habitat that provides food, water, and shelter.
- Windsock: Make a colorful windsock with rip-stop nylon material.
- SPACE EXPLORER:
- Spaceship: Create a vehicle to get you to the moon and back.
Thanks for booking a workshop!
To guarantee a super time, please:
- Send in your non-refundable deposit if required.
- Let us know your project choice.
- Make sure all drivers have good directions to The Scrap Box. You can download a map and driving directions from the the link below.
- Call us with questions or significant changes in the number of participants.
581 State Circle, Ann Arbor MI 48108
Please click here to download a map and driving directions, print, then give each workshop driver a map. Or use the map below for driving directions from Google Maps:
The Scrap Box, 581 State Circle, Ann Arbor MI 48108 734-994-0012