(for fourth and fifth graders)
A field trip to The Scrap Box is a great way to introduce the concept of using resources wisely. Girls explore the 3Rs — reduce, reuse, and recycle — using our unique recycled materials.
The workshops are designed to fullfil part of a badge requirement. The activities are as open-ended as possible to allow all children the opportunity to express their own creativity.
Each workshop consists of 3 parts:
- First, the Scrap Box presenter talks about our scrap materials, showing examples of what the product was that produced the scrap.
- Second, the girls get some hands-on experience making their project, based on the try-it project chosen for that day. Girls are fully engaged in discovery, problem solving, and creativity; each girl’s masterpiece will be unique.
- Third, the girls go shopping in the large bulk room, filling a bag to take home.
Each workshop lasts one and one-half hours. The cost is $8.00 per girl, with a minimum charge per workshop of $96.00. Small troops often invite siblings along. There is no charge for adults unless they want to participate in making the project and/or shopping.
Suggested Project Choices: select one from the list
- ECO ACTION
- Trashy Art: create a one-of-a-kind trash masterpiece.
- ART IN THE HOME
- Accent on beauty: create a banner for your wall or bedroom door.
- ART IN 3-D
- Negatives are Positives: include both negative and positive space in creating an abstract sculpture.
- It’s Mobile: create a mobile or stabile (stationery sculpture).
- Wire It: make a 3-D design with pipe cleaners and other objects.
- DRAWING AND PAINTING
- In Shape: Make foam stamps to create your own holiday wrapping paper.
- Colors and Shapes Mobile: create a collage using circles, triangles, squares, and rectangles.
- PRINTS AND GRAPHICS
- Stamp Designs: make your own foam stamps to create unique prints on paper or fabric.
- Stencil Fun: use our special transfer foil and stencils with our sticky-back paper.
- Make a Mask: decide what character you will create a mask for.
- YARN AND FABRIC ARTS
- Weave On: use colorful yarn and other materials to weave an interesting design using a cardboard loom.
- Make bracelets using colorful tubes and stick-on jewels that you create yourself with transfer foil.
- Make a jewelry box by transforming a special container to create a fancy holder with buttons, lace, cut-out foam shapes, etc.
- Using unique Scrap Box materials, design your own finger or stick puppet, or a simple board game.
- YOUR OUTDOOR SURROUNDINGS
- Learn about a whole lot of items that have been recycled by The Scrap Box. Then create something unique (upcycle) using these recycled materials.
Thanks for booking a workshop!
To guarantee a super time, please:
- Send in your non-refundable deposit if required.
- Let us know your project choice.
- Make sure all drivers have good directions to The Scrap Box. You can download a map with the link in the sidebar on the left.
- Call us with questions or significant changes in the number of participants.
Please click here to download a map and driving directions, print, then give each workshop driver a map.
Or use the map below for driving directions from Google Maps:
The Scrap Box, 581 State Circle, Ann Arbor MI 48108 734-994-0012